Guj Cong lodges model code violation complaint against Modi
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress on Friday lodged a complaint against Chief Minister Narendra Modi, his three Cabinet colleagues and two BJP MPs alleging violation of the Model Code of Conduct by offering to participate in a Navratri event.
A complaint lodged with Chief Electoral Officer Anita Karwal claimed that Modi and others violated the code which stipulates that political leaders and ministers should not participate in any Navratri functions as special invitees.
Congress said that invitations were being distributed for the Navaratri Function organised by Ahmedabad Diamond Association in celebration of its silver jubilee stating that Modi and others would attend the function.
"On October 29, the Association is organising Vibrant Garba and as per the invitation card, Chief Minister will be present as Chief Guest and other two BJP MPs Harin Pathak and Smriti Irani would be special invitees on that occasion," said the complaint filed by Congress legal cell.
"This clearly is violation of the election code which prohibits politicisation from using religious festival like Navratri for political campaign," it further alleged.
"As part of the same celebrations, the Association has organised another Garba Festival on October 27 and for that occasion BJP National Vice-President Purshottam Rupala has been invited as chief guest and Urban Development Minister Nitin Patel and minister of state for Home Prafull Patel as special invitees," the complaint said.
As per the complaint, scores of invitation cards were being distributed.
Gujarat Congress has demanded that action should be initiated against CM and others for violation of the model code of conduct.
Assembly elections in the state are to be held on December 13 and 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued