Guj Cong strongman Vitthal Radadia joins BJP
Dhoraji: Former Congress MP Vitthal Radadia, who had hit the headlines last year for brandishing a gun at a toll-booth, today joined BJP along with his son and supporters in the presence of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi here.
The development could be a setback for Congress as Radadia, who belongs to Leuva Patel community, is a prominent leader of farmers and cooperative sector from Saurashtra.
Several cooperative movement leaders from Saurashtra too joined BJP at the function attended by thousands of people.
Modi offered a saffron scarf to Radaida, formally inducting him into BJP.
"It is for the first time in the history of BJP that such a large group of people is joining the party," Modi said adding he welcomed Radadia with an "open heart". Modi also described Radadia as a "fighter and a mass leader".
Radadia said he had been working for Congress for the last 18 years but now he was "mentally tired". "We have joined BJP to strengthen the hand of Chief Minister Narendra Modi who is the prime ministerial candidate from Gujarat for the 2014 elections," Radadia said.
"Congress people are saying they won`t be affected by my joining BJP. They will see the effect in 2014 elections".
Radadia had last October brandished a gun at toll booth at Karzan and his action was caught on CCTV. He was Porbandar MP then.
He and his son Jayesh fought and won state assembly elections from Dhoraji and Jetpur respectively in December, after which Radadia resiged as MP.
On February 25, he and his son resigned as MLAs and also from primary membership of Congress. He was miffed after Congress chose Shankarsinh Vaghela over him for the post of Leader of Opposition in Gujarat Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof