Guj Cong strongman Vitthal Radadia joins BJP
Dhoraji: Former Congress MP Vitthal Radadia, who had hit the headlines last year for brandishing a gun at a toll-booth, today joined BJP along with his son and supporters in the presence of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi here.
The development could be a setback for Congress as Radadia, who belongs to Leuva Patel community, is a prominent leader of farmers and cooperative sector from Saurashtra.
Several cooperative movement leaders from Saurashtra too joined BJP at the function attended by thousands of people.
Modi offered a saffron scarf to Radaida, formally inducting him into BJP.
"It is for the first time in the history of BJP that such a large group of people is joining the party," Modi said adding he welcomed Radadia with an "open heart". Modi also described Radadia as a "fighter and a mass leader".
Radadia said he had been working for Congress for the last 18 years but now he was "mentally tired". "We have joined BJP to strengthen the hand of Chief Minister Narendra Modi who is the prime ministerial candidate from Gujarat for the 2014 elections," Radadia said.
"Congress people are saying they won`t be affected by my joining BJP. They will see the effect in 2014 elections".
Radadia had last October brandished a gun at toll booth at Karzan and his action was caught on CCTV. He was Porbandar MP then.
He and his son Jayesh fought and won state assembly elections from Dhoraji and Jetpur respectively in December, after which Radadia resiged as MP.
On February 25, he and his son resigned as MLAs and also from primary membership of Congress. He was miffed after Congress chose Shankarsinh Vaghela over him for the post of Leader of Opposition in Gujarat Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place