Guj considering transfer of 3 police officers in Ishrat case
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat home department is
considering transfer IPS officers following a suggestion by a
Gujarat High Court bench hearing the killing of college
student Ishrat Jahan and three others in an encounter with the
police in 2004.
The three senior police officials PP Pandey, GL
Singhal and DySP Tarun Barot are connected with the killing of
Ishrat, Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and
Zeeshan Johar on the outskirts of Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
"The High Court had suggested that they (Pande,
Singhal and Barot) be transfered. It is under consideration.
But transfer orders have not been issued yet," Additional
Chief Secretary (Home) Balwant Singh told PTI.
On April 8, the HC had observed that despite its
earlier direction in January and requisition of transfer of
the trio by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the
case, they were not transfered.
Pande was then heading the city crime branch while
Singhal was DCP (crime) and Barot a PI with the crime branch.
While Pande is an officer of the rank of ADGP heading
the state CID, Singhal is at present posted as SP with the
state Anti Terrorist Squad (ATS). Barot is heading the Special
Operations Group against organised crime in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II