Guj court reserves order on Zakia`s plea to July 1
Ahmedabad: A local court on Wednesday reserved till July 16 its order on Zakia Jafri`s plea for production of more documents, including interim report filed by SIT in the Supreme Court, regarding its probe into her complaint against Gujarat CM Narendra Modi and others in 2002 riots.
The court of Metropolitan Magistrate B J Ganatra is also likely to pass order on the application filed by activist Teesta Setalvad for inspecting the original documents, submitted by SIT with closure report, on behalf of Zakia Jafri, on that day.
Continuing his arguments from last week and opposing Zakia`s plea, counsel for SIT, R S Jamuar, said the SIT has produced "everything" it has collected during the course of the investigation.
"Demand for interim report filed by A K Malhotra of SIT in a sealed cover in the Supreme Court is irrelevant as that is merely an opinion of an officer. This court has to decide not on the opinions but on the basis of evidences we have collected and produced before this court with our final report," said Jamuar.
Advocate Mihir Desai, appearing for Zakia and Teesta, said SIT has changed its stand since it had filed the interim report.
"There has been a change in the positions in the investigation of SIT from what it had filed the interim report to what it has concluded in the closure report," he said.
"The change in positions by SIT is crucial and all reports filed in the Supreme Court should be looked into by this court before taking cognisance of and taking a final decision on the closure report," said Desai.
Zakia, wife of ex-Congress MP Eshan Jafri who was killed along with 68 others in Gulburg Society massacre, had filed a complaint against Modi and others for a "larger conspiracy" in 2002 riots.
After filing its closure report on the complaint against Modi and others on the directions of the apex court, SIT had handed over copies of all related documents to Zakia.
However, Zakia filed an application in the court saying some of the documents were "unreadable", after which the court allowed her to examine all documents.
Earlier, the court had granted permission for examination of original documents by lawyers of Zakia Jafri.
Meanwhile, in her application, Setalvad also requested the court that she should be allowed to examine the original documents and produced a power of attorney granted to her by Jafri.
SIT had also opposed Zakia`s demand of handing her over the copy of a forwarding letter, submitted by SIT chairman R K Raghvan to the Supreme Court, while filing A K Malhotra`s interim report.
"Letter of R K Raghvan is not part of the investigation report of the SIT in Zakia`s complaint and we are not obliged to give it to the complainant," said Jamuar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22