Guj court warns Teesta Setalvad for "misusing proceedings"
Ahmedabad: A local court has warned the social activist Teesta Setalvad, who had sought to represent Zakia Jafri in her complaint against Chief Minister Narendra Modi and others in 2002 riots case, for "misusing" the court proceedings.
Metropolitan Magistrate B J Ganatra today also fixed September 26, 2012 for the hearing on the filing of protest petition by Jafri over the closure report of Special Investigation Team, which gives clean chit to Modi and others on the complicity in riots.
Jafri had earlier indicated that she would be filing a protest petition against the closure report.
SIT has given copies of the report and related documents, running into 25,000 pages, to Jafri. But she filed another application, seeking "legible" copies of the documents.
Setalvad, who has been working for the riot victims for long, had also requested the court to let her represent Jafri -- through power-of-attorney (PoA) -- for the purpose of inspection of documents.
The court rejected this plea, but Setalvad filed another application seeking to represent Jafri when the latter was out of the country.
In a strongly-worded order, made available today, the Magistrate took a serious note of the two applications.
"Court is directing to record the affidavit filed by Teesta Setalvad as a power-of-attorney holder and she has been given ultimatum that from now onwards she should refrain from misusing court proceedings by filing applications which are not in her power," the court said.
The court questioned the PoA presented by Setalvad, asking how could she file it when Zakia`s own lawyer was present in the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter