Guj firing case: BJP MLA escapes from detention
Ahmedabad: Gujarat BJP MLA Jetha Bharwad, who was detained in connection with the firing incident at a polling station in which four persons were injured, is absconding, a top police official said Tuesday.
Bharwad allegedly absconded from a private hospital here in the wee hours today where he was admitted yesterday for head injuries and the authorities are contemplating action against eight policemen who were on the escort duty.
"He was brought at the Apollo hospital here for the CT scan, which was referred by the doctors who were treating him in Godhra. From there, at around 3 AM today, he ran away while his police escort team were outside the CT scan room," state DGP Chitranjan Singh said.
"We are taking action against eight policemen who were in the escort team who brought MLA Jetha Bharwad here while he was under detention," Singh added.
Bharwad`s bodyguard yesterday allegedly opened fire after some stones were pelted at the leader by some people in Tarsang village, resulting in the injury to four of them.
Bharwad had also sustained head injuries in stone pelting.
The MLA from Sahera in Panchmahal district is seeking a re-election.
Bharwad, along with 10 others, has been charged with attempt to murder.
"We have registered an FIR against MLA Jetha Bharwad and four others under different sections of Indian Penal Code (IPC) which also include section 307 (attempt to murder)," said Sehara police sub-inspector P S Bhatt.
However, Takhatsingh Solanki, a Congress candidate against him in Sahera constituency, had alleged Bharwad had come with his supporters in two vehicles, with the intention of bogus voting and had staged the stone pelting.
"It was pre-planned by Jetha Bharwad so that he can frighten the voters of my village and resort to bogus voting. Otherwise he has no business to enter in my village at the time of voting," Solanki had alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!