Guj: Five immolate to protest demolition drive
Rajkot: Five persons, including three women, Wednesday set themselves ablaze in Rajkot Municipal Corporation office to protest the civic body`s alleged demolition drive, police said.
The five, identified as Rekha, Asha, Vasumati, Bharat and Girish from Chhotu Nagar area near Raiya Dhar of the city, today poured kerosene and set themselves on fire in RMC`s central zone office, police said.
They were rushed to Rajkot civil hospital where condition of two of them was stated to be critical.
When contacted, Mayor Janak Kotak said that RMC has nothing to do with the incident as the civic body had no plan to carry out demolition in the area.
The five might have had a dispute with a member of their society because of which they took the extreme step, Kotak said.
The RMC has decided to initiate a probe in the incident and appropriate action would be taken against those found guilty, he added.
He extended all possible support to the victims and said they would be shifted to private hospital soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days