Guj: Five immolate to protest demolition drive
Rajkot: Five persons, including three women, Wednesday set themselves ablaze in Rajkot Municipal Corporation office to protest the civic body`s alleged demolition drive, police said.
The five, identified as Rekha, Asha, Vasumati, Bharat and Girish from Chhotu Nagar area near Raiya Dhar of the city, today poured kerosene and set themselves on fire in RMC`s central zone office, police said.
They were rushed to Rajkot civil hospital where condition of two of them was stated to be critical.
When contacted, Mayor Janak Kotak said that RMC has nothing to do with the incident as the civic body had no plan to carry out demolition in the area.
The five might have had a dispute with a member of their society because of which they took the extreme step, Kotak said.
The RMC has decided to initiate a probe in the incident and appropriate action would be taken against those found guilty, he added.
He extended all possible support to the victims and said they would be shifted to private hospital soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September