Guj: Five immolate to protest demolition drive
Rajkot: Five persons, including three women, Wednesday set themselves ablaze in Rajkot Municipal Corporation office to protest the civic body`s alleged demolition drive, police said.
The five, identified as Rekha, Asha, Vasumati, Bharat and Girish from Chhotu Nagar area near Raiya Dhar of the city, today poured kerosene and set themselves on fire in RMC`s central zone office, police said.
They were rushed to Rajkot civil hospital where condition of two of them was stated to be critical.
When contacted, Mayor Janak Kotak said that RMC has nothing to do with the incident as the civic body had no plan to carry out demolition in the area.
The five might have had a dispute with a member of their society because of which they took the extreme step, Kotak said.
The RMC has decided to initiate a probe in the incident and appropriate action would be taken against those found guilty, he added.
He extended all possible support to the victims and said they would be shifted to private hospital soon.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Modi finds 'Little India' with Diwali lights, delicious food in Singapore - In Pics