Guj govt extends Nanavati panel term till June 30
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat government has
extended the term of Nanavati Commission, probing into the 2002 riots in the state till June 30 next year, for the 15th time, sources in the government said Wednesday.
The term of the Commission comprising of retired
Justices G T Nanavati and Akshay Mehta was earlier extended in
June this year and was to get over on December 31.
According to Commission officials, they received the
extension letter from the state government few days ago.
After its extension in June, the Commission had
questioned Gordhan Zadafia who was the Minister of State for
Home during 2002 riots and recorded his statements.
However, it had made it clear that Zadafia was not
called as a witness, after it was asked by the Gujarat High
Court to clarify in what capacity he was questioned.
In the last couple of months, the panel has recorded
statements of several policemen, including some IPS officers
who were posted in Ahmedabad during the riots.
In February, during hearing of a petition of Jan
Sangarsh Manch (JSM), an NGO representing some of the riot
victims, the Commission had told the High Court that it had
completed analysis of evidences and statements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack