Guj govt welcomes verdict in post-Godhra case
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat government on Monday
welcomed the court verdict in a post-Godhra riot case, terming
the ruling as a "slap on the face of those who are hell bent
on defaming" the ruling BJP in the state.
A court in Anand district convicted 23 accused for the
communal violence in Ode village, where 23 people, including
women and children, were burnt alive by a mob on March 1, 2002
following the Godhra train burning incident. Twenty-three
other accused were acquitted.
Government spokesman Jaynarayan Vyas said the verdict is
a "slap on the face of those who are hell bent on defaming"
the Gujarat government, the state police and Special
Investigation Team (SIT) appointed by the Supreme Court.
"Some NGOs are trying to fulfil their own ulterior
motives in the name of getting justice for the (riot) victims.
People of the state are urged to identify such groups and
understand their intentions," Vyas said.
The state government welcomes the court verdict, he said.
Gujarat Congress chief Arjun Modhwadia said the victims
had to wait for 10 long years to get justice.
"It is the state government`s duty to ensure justice to
the people, but they have failed to do so. It was under the
monitoring of Supreme Court-appointed SIT that the victims are
getting justice," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you