Guj has potential to be gateway for medical tourism in India
Ahmedabad: Gujarat has potential to become the
gateway for medical tourism in India with the kind of capacity
building being lined up for the state`s health care sector,
state minister for health and tourism said here today.
Last year 4.50 lakh tourists visited the state for
obtaining medical care. With the kind of capacity building
lined up for health care sector here in coming days we expect
Gujarat to surpass Singapore in medical tourism," State
Minister of Health and Tourism Jaynarayan Vyas said at a
FICCI organised seminar here.
"The total health care market in India is projected to be
at Rs 3,200 billion by 2012, and on conservative estimate even
if Gujarat gets ten per cent share in it, it will throw open
huge opportunities," he said.
"The state can await for this kind of market opportunity
in health care between 2012-2015," Vyas said.
The way medical and paramedical colleges are proposed to
come up in the state no doubt Gujarat will emerge as a leading
health care tourism destination in coming days.
"Efforts are underway to upgrade facilities and get
National Accreditation Board for Hospitals (NABH)
certification for the state run hospitals," Vyas said.
"By 2012 the health care industry in India is expected to
reach 75 billion USD," FICCI State Council Chairman Pankaj
Patel who is also chairman of Zydus Cadila group said.
"The rising standards in healthcare is pushing for better
facilities and according to a study conducted by Technocrat
Advisors in India, the country will need additional 3.1
million beds by 2018," Patel said.
Gujarat has become a major medical tourism destination in
recent times. The state has achieved stupendous industrial
growth in past few years and contributed significantly to
country`s export, he said.
India offers a huge opportunity to healthcare providers,
policy makers and service providers alike with 16 per cent of
world`s population and almost 21 per cent of total global
diseases the country`s healthcare sector is understated, Patel
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars