Guj HC ask state to come clean on restoring religious places
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court today asked the
state government to put on record its policy with regard to
compensation for restoration of religious places damaged or
destroyed during the 2002 riots.
A division bench of Chief Justice S J Mukhopadhaya and
Justice A S Dave gave the direction while hearing a petition
filed by Islamic Relief Committee of Gujarat (IRCG).
IRCG`s petition filed in 2003 had sought court`s
directions to the government to pay compensation for religious
places damaged during riots on the ground that the National
Human Rights Commission too had recommended it and the state
government had in principle accepted the suggestion.
However, when the court asked state advocate general (AG)
Kamal Trivedi about government`s stand on NHRC
recommendations, he denied that state had agreed to follow
Upon this, the division bench observed, "You (the
state government) said yes to NHRC thinking that its a
toothless body, and seven years later you are denying it
before a court of law."
The court asked AG to check his records and asked the
government to put on record its policy on restoration of
religious structures destroyed during the 2002 riots. Further
hearing in the case is kept on March 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US