Guj HC awards Rs 3.75 lakh compensation to quake victims
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Thursday
upheld a trial court order and awarded compensation of Rs 3.75
lakh each to the families of 23 children who died after their
school collapsed during the 2001 earthquake.
A division bench of Justices Jayant Patel and
Abhilasha Kumari while pronouncing the judgement, observed
that the four-storey building of the school run by Shriram
Education Trust (SET) in Ghodasar area of city collapsed due
to sub-standard material used in its construction.
The court ordered SET trustees to pay Rs 3.75 lakh
each to the families of 23 victims who had approached the
court, in three months with eight per cent interest from the
date of filing of the petition.
During the 2001 earthquake, the four-storey school
building of SET had collapsed, killing 32 children.
The parents of 23 victims approached a local court for
compensation, which in 2007 awarded a compensation of Rs 2
lakh each with five per cent interest.
The trial court order was challenged by both parents
and SET in the High Court which today, upheld the 2007 order
and hiked the compensation amount to Rs 3.75 lakh.
The High Court in its order has rejected the argument
of the trustees of SET that the building had collapsed due to
earthquake which was an act of God.
The court observed that the 11-month old building had
collapsed not due to natural calamity, but due to negligence
in construction on part of the school trustees and the builder
who did not follow the requisite norms.
The Court further said that reports by experts showed
that inferior quality material was used during construction,
which resulted in the collapse of the school building, while
another building of the same trust which was 12-year-old
According to advocate Hasmukh Patel who represented
the families of victims, some of his clients were
contemplating challenging the order in the Supreme Court for
increased compensation and also to get the court to direct the
government to have some regulation for construction of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly