Guj HC orders CBI probe in HIV-infected children case
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Wednesday ordered a CBI inquiry in a case where 23 children suffering from thalassemia contracted HIV allegedly during blood transfusion at Junagadh Civil hospital last year.
The inquiry was ordered by acting Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice J B Pardiwala on a PIL filed by an advocate seeking a CBI investigation into the case.
The court has asked the central agency to file status report in a month and kept the matter for further hearing till that time.
Last year, 23 children, who were suffering from thalassemia, were found to be HIV positive after they had blood transfusion in the Civil Hospital, Junagadh.
The parents alleged that the doctors from the hospital and officials from the Sarvodaya blood bank, attached with the civil hospital, were responsible for the criminal negligence.
Two children of the 23 who were infected with HIV died in the last one year.
As local police refused to register an FIR, the parents approached the High Court. On their plea, the HC had earlier ordered to register an FIR in the case and asked that an IPS officer should conduct an investigation in the case.
Meanwhile, an advocate at the High Court, Girish Das, also filed a PIL for ordering CBI investigation in this case. The court today ordered probe by the central agency on the basis of that PIL.
During the last hearing on the PIL, the High Court had shown displeasure with the way Gujarat police was conducting the investigation in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir