Guj HC refuses to entertain lawyers` protest
Ahmedabad: The Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court today refused to entertain the lawyers who wanted to abstain from the court proceedings to protest the arrest of social activist Anna Hazare.
Division bench headed by Chief Justice S J Mukhopadhaya asked the president of Gujarat High Court Advocates` Association (GHCAA) Yatin Oza not "to bring politics" to the Court, when Oza tried to make a representation on the issue.
"Do not embarrass the Court," the Chief Justice said. Court will not allow any adjournments and dismiss cases where the lawyer chooses not to remain present, he added.
Earlier today, GHCAA passed a resolution that its members would stay away from the court proceedings to register protest against the arrest of Hazare in Delhi, said Oza, a senior counsel and a former BJP MLA.
However, some of the members opposed the resolution, calling it a political act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: Is Sanskrit language losing its importance in India?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them