Guj HC refuses to entertain lawyers` protest
Ahmedabad: The Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court today refused to entertain the lawyers who wanted to abstain from the court proceedings to protest the arrest of social activist Anna Hazare.
Division bench headed by Chief Justice S J Mukhopadhaya asked the president of Gujarat High Court Advocates` Association (GHCAA) Yatin Oza not "to bring politics" to the Court, when Oza tried to make a representation on the issue.
"Do not embarrass the Court," the Chief Justice said. Court will not allow any adjournments and dismiss cases where the lawyer chooses not to remain present, he added.
Earlier today, GHCAA passed a resolution that its members would stay away from the court proceedings to register protest against the arrest of Hazare in Delhi, said Oza, a senior counsel and a former BJP MLA.
However, some of the members opposed the resolution, calling it a political act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'