Guj HC refuses to entertain lawyers` protest
Ahmedabad: The Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court today refused to entertain the lawyers who wanted to abstain from the court proceedings to protest the arrest of social activist Anna Hazare.
Division bench headed by Chief Justice S J Mukhopadhaya asked the president of Gujarat High Court Advocates` Association (GHCAA) Yatin Oza not "to bring politics" to the Court, when Oza tried to make a representation on the issue.
"Do not embarrass the Court," the Chief Justice said. Court will not allow any adjournments and dismiss cases where the lawyer chooses not to remain present, he added.
Earlier today, GHCAA passed a resolution that its members would stay away from the court proceedings to register protest against the arrest of Hazare in Delhi, said Oza, a senior counsel and a former BJP MLA.
However, some of the members opposed the resolution, calling it a political act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- 'Government should make Amitabh face of tobacco control campaign'
- 'Ok Jaanu' stars Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor take party spirit up a notch! - View pictures
- Dempo return to I-League with 3-1 win against Minerva
- At least 700 dead after series of shipwrecks off Libyan coast
- Sidharth Malhotra is spilling hotness all over this summer! - Pic inside