Guj HC reserves order on IPS officer Sanjeev Bhatt`s plea
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Friday reserved its order on the petition filed by suspended IPS officer Sanjeev Bhatt who has sought relief in the 1990 custodial death case during his posting in Jamnagar.
Justice R H Shukla will pronounce his judgement on July 20 on Bhatt`s petition who has prayed the court to quash and set aside the order of Jamnagar Sessions court which, on June 30, had rejected his revision application in the case.
The Sessions court had also scheduled the framing of charges in the custodial death case on July 17. But the high court today asked the government pleader to instruct his counter part (public prosecutor) in the Sessions court to request for adjournment of case that was to decide on framing of charges till July 20.
The case concerns the death of one Prabhudas Vaishnani who allegedly succumbed to injuries inflicted on him while in custody by the police on the night of October 30, 1990.
As the newly appointed ASP in Jamnagar in October 1990, Bhatt had detained many BJP workers protesting against the arrest of LK Advani after his Rath Yatra was stopped. Prabhudas Vaishnani was one of those who were detained.
Bhatt was assistant superintendent of police at the time. Prabhudas`s brother, Amrutlal Vaishnani, had lodged a case against Bhatt and other policemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'