Guj HC seeks explanation over encroachment
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court Wednesday issued notices to the state archaeology department as well as the municipal authorities here and sought explanation on why all encroachments around the historical and archaeological sites in the city should not be demolished immediately.
Managing Trustee of Isan Malik Namaji Committee, Amjad Hussain Shaikh has filed a petition objecting the encroachment around the historical `Isan Malik Mosque`, which has been declared as a protected monument by the state government under the provisions of the Gujarat Ancient Monuments & Archaeological Sites & Remains Act, 1965.
"Isan Malik Mosque not only signifies the historical values but it also has the name `Isanpur` for a whole area of Ahmedabad city with significant population," said advocate Aniruddh Mavalankar, who represents petitioner in the court.
As per the petitioners, there are almost 19 shops and other illegal constructions, erected in such a way that has not only blocked the entrance of the mosque, but has also raised fears that the protected monument could be damaged.
The petitioner had further stated that under the Gujarat Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites & Remains Act, 1965 the adjacent area of the protected monument is considered prohibited or restricted area for the construction, erection or execution of building.
"In 2002 post-Godhra riots, this mosque was damaged and worshippers stayed away from offering Namaz here. Then councillor Govind Thakor took advantage of the deserted site and constructed some shops and later others also followed him," alleged the petitioner.
"We have demanded the demolition of illegal construction and clear the historical site from the dangers of damage and defacement," said Mavalankar.
Taking serious note of the encroachment, Justice R M Chhaya had issued notice to Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation and the Director of Department of Archaeology, Gujarat and ordered them to file a reply by September 20, the day when further hearing will take place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video