Guj: HIV-infected kids to get free treatment
Ahmedabad: The state government has informed
the Gujarat High Court that 21 thalassemia-affected kids from Junagadh, who allegedly contracted HIV during blood transfusions, could get free treatment in four state-run
The statement was made before the division bench of
acting Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice J B
The application for free treatment had been made by
advocate Girish Das during the hearing on public interest
litigations seeking compensation for the children`s families
and punishment for the guilty.
The state government informed the court it was willing to
provide free medical treatment to the children at Junagadh
Civil Hospital, G G Hospital in Jamnagar, PDU General Hospital
in Rajkot and Ahmedabad Civil Hospital.
The Court observed that it was a fair decision, and
adjourned the case till February 9.
Twenty-three thalassemic children tested positive for
HIV during blood tests at Junagadh civil hospital last year.
Das`s PIL seeks compensation for their families, and fixing of
responsibility for the horrific negligence which led to
Two of the children died in the meantime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan