Guj: HIV-infected kids to get free treatment
Ahmedabad: The state government has informed
the Gujarat High Court that 21 thalassemia-affected kids from Junagadh, who allegedly contracted HIV during blood transfusions, could get free treatment in four state-run
The statement was made before the division bench of
acting Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice J B
The application for free treatment had been made by
advocate Girish Das during the hearing on public interest
litigations seeking compensation for the children`s families
and punishment for the guilty.
The state government informed the court it was willing to
provide free medical treatment to the children at Junagadh
Civil Hospital, G G Hospital in Jamnagar, PDU General Hospital
in Rajkot and Ahmedabad Civil Hospital.
The Court observed that it was a fair decision, and
adjourned the case till February 9.
Twenty-three thalassemic children tested positive for
HIV during blood tests at Junagadh civil hospital last year.
Das`s PIL seeks compensation for their families, and fixing of
responsibility for the horrific negligence which led to
Two of the children died in the meantime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch