Guj Lokayukta case: HC issues fresh notice to Meht
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court Wednesday issued a fresh notice to Retd Justice R A Mehta who was appointed as the Lokayukta by the State Governor bypassing the
Narendra Modi government, which has challenged the decision.
The fresh notice was issued by division bench of Justice Akil Kureshi and Justice Sonia Gokani after the earlier notice issued on September 7 was not served to him.
The next hearing in the matter has now been scheduled for
September 28, when the court will also hear the contempt
petition against Modi for leaking his letter written to the
Prime Minister to the media.
Gujarat Governor Dr Kamla had last month appointed Mehta
as Lokayukta bypassing the state government on the post which
was vacant for the last seven years.
The state government has challenged the Governor`s
decision in the High Court.
In the next hearing, the court will also hear the
petition of Leader of Opposition Shaktisinh Gohil who wants to
join in as party in the contempt petition.
A bunch of petitions are being heard together by the
court which include state government`s petition challenging
the governor`s decision of appointing Mehta as Lokayukta
without consulting the council of ministers.
One is a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking
appointment of Lokayukta in the state, as the post has been
vacant for over seven years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened