Guj: Muslims perform `Kanyadan` of Hindu girl
Vadodara: In a heart-warming tale of communal amity, a Muslim youth performed `Kanyadan` of a tribal Hindu girl at a village ravaged during the 2002 post-Godhra riots even as her own relatives stayed away.
The members of the Muslim community living in the Soni locality of Panwad village in Kawant taluka extended a helping hand to Madhuben Rathwa, a tribal widow, making arrangements and playing the host at the wedding earlier this week.
"We decided to help Alpa (Madhuben`s daughter) as she has no brother and her widowed mother is an `anganwadi` worker. Theirs is the only Hindu tribal family in the Muslim-dominated Soni locality of the village," a villager Farid Soni said.
With fellow villagers Vallibhai Patel, Rehman Soni, Rasul Tailor and others, Farid shouldered the responsibility of taking care of the `Baraatis` who came from Vav village for Alpa`s marriage with Rajesh Rathwa.
"We also presented her jewellery and other household items. The entire expenditure over these was borne by members of our community," he said.
Acknowledging their generosity, Madhuben said, "The marriage ceremony of my daughter could not have taken place without the help from the members of the Muslim community as my own relatives stayed away. This may be due to my staying in this locality of the village," she said.
"It was a most enjoyable event and we were very excited about Alpa getting married. Members of our community wholeheartedly participated in it," said Rehman, delighted at the ceremony passing off smoothly.
The village was torn by communal strife in 2002 after the Godhra train carnage and several Muslim families had to flee the frenzy when tribals caused heavy damage to their properties.
Though no one died in the communal flare-up in Panwad, the wounds took years to heal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations