Guj panchayat polls: Mixed results for ruling BJP
Ahmedabad: Ruling BJP in Gujarat had to face defeat in two district panchayats whereas the party won nine taluka panchayats out of 15 for which elections were held on February 17, State Election Commission (SEC) said.
Congress, which has failed to better its performance in state Assembly elections, maintained its stronghold in Kheda and Banaskantha by winning both district panchayats, for which results were declared today.
As per an SEC release, out of 41 seats in Kheda district panchayat, BJP won 18 while Congress won 22 thereby capturing the panchayat, whereas one seat went to an Independent.
In Banaskantha, Congress barely retained the district panchayat where out of 54 seats, the party won 28 and BJP managed to win 26. On one seat re-election has been announced because of the death of a candidate.
Out of total 95 seats in two district panchayats, BJP got 44, Congress won 50 and one seat went to an Independent.
However, BJP won 9 out of 15 taluka panchayats which went to poll on February 17. Congress won 5, while one taluka panchayat, Dantiwada, remained hung where both BJP and Congress won equal number of seats.
Out of the total 348 seats of district panchayats, for which results were declared today, BJP won 187 seats and Congress won on 154 seats, while seven seats went to Independents.
Results were also declared today for Bhachau Municipality in Kutch, where re-polling was ordered because some EVMs (Electronic Voting Machines) were found tampered.
Out of 27 seats in Bhachau Municipality, Congress won on 22 and BJP on 5.
On Sunday, by-elections were also held for 3 seats of different district panchayats and 18 seats of taluka panchayats in which BJP won 3 seats in district panchayats and 15 taluka panchayat seats, while Congress won 3 seats.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!