Guj Poll: NCP wants alliance with Congress on own terms
Vadodara: Sharad Pawar-led NCP will fight the upcoming Gujarat Assembly elections in alliance with Congress with an aim to dislodge the ruling Narendra Modi government.
"Our party will have seat sharing arrangements with Congress for upcoming Gujarat assembly poll as we want to prevent division of votes and defeat BJP in the poll," Pawar said at the opening session of the 5th National Convention of his party at Atladara here today.
Pawar hinted that the party will have its own pound of flesh for teaming up with Congress.
"Under the 2007 seat-sharing agreement, NCP contested 8 seats and Congress 174 seats. This time, we want more seats," Pawar said.
"Since NCP`s strength has gone up in the state post 2007 Assembly poll, we will field candidates on the seats that have winning potential," Pawar added.
Senior NCP leader and union minister Praful Patel also proposed for a "hard bargain" with Congress on the back of performance of his party at Panchayat polls. NCP won 22 out of 26 district panchayats in Gujarat.
Senior party leaders Tariq Anwar, Praful Patel, Ajit Pawar, who recently stepped down as deputy chief minister of Maharashtra, Lok Sabha MP Supriya Sule among others are attending the conclave.
Maharashtra minister Chhagan Bhujbal and other leaders, including Sule appealed to the party workers to "bring about a change in the state by defeating BJP government which ignored former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee`s advice to adhere to rajdharma".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read