`Guj polls: Joshi`s exit won’t mar chances of BJP`
Rajkot: Terming Sanjay Joshi`s decision to quit the BJP as "personal", the party`s Gujarat unit today said his exit will not have any negative impact on its prospects in the Assembly polls slated by the year-end.
"Joshi`s place of work has been in Delhi and in the last Assembly election (2007) he was not in Gujarat but BJP secured absolute majority. His resignation will not have any negative impact (on BJP`s chances) in the Assembly elections," Gujarat BJP spokesperson Vijay Rupani said here.
The former RSS pracharak, who was a general secretary of BJP, resigned yesterday from the party. It is widely believed that Chief Minister Narendra Modi forced the BJP leadership to secure the resignation of his bete noire.
Asked if Joshi had to resign due to Modi`s pressure on the party leadership, Rupani replied in negative. "The party is not under anyone`s pressure. His resignation is a personal decision."
Meanwhile, a two-day BJP state executive meeting began here amidst dissidence and internal bickering in Gujarat BJP.
Joshi, who resigned from BJP`s National Executive last month, had worked in the state unit for almost 10 years and was known for his good rapport with grassroots workers.
The state unit is facing dissidence from former Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel and his supporters, who have openly criticised the Modi government in run-up to the polls.
To a question on Patel, Rupani said, "Keshubhai is our senior-most leader in the state and he had worked hard to establish the party in Gujarat."
"Keshubhai has been invited for the meeting. Now its up to him to attend it or not," he said, when asked whether Modi`s predecessor will take part in the conclave.
Asked whether the BJP would take any action against the dissidents, Rupani declined to comment.
To a query about Modi`s chances of becoming the Prime Minister, Rupani said people want the BJP leader to occupy the top post but a final decision on the prime ministerial candidate would be taken by the party at the time of general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical