Guj riot case: SIT opposes Teesta`s plea to examine evidence
Ahmedabad: The Special Investigation Team which investigated complaints against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and others in a riot case, told a court today that activist Teesta Setalvad might tamper with evidence if allowed to inspect original documents of the probe.
Opposing the application of Setalvad for permission to examine the original documents on behalf of Zakia Jafri in a Magisterial court here, SIT cited last week`s media reports on a criminal complaint filed by Teesta`s former associate Rais Khan in a local court.
"There are media reports about a complaint in court that she was paying money to witnesses for the affidavits," alleged advocate R S Jamuvar, who was appearing for the SIT.
Rebutting the allegation, senior advocate Mihir Desai said that, "SIT was opposing Teesta`s application for the examination much before Rais Khan`s complaint."
"How come now they are citing these media reports? Unless SIT was instrumental in filing this complaint," he wondered.
Metropolitan Magistrate B J Ganatra was hearing the arguments on the applications filed by Zakia Jafri and Teesta Setalvad. Earlier, the court had granted permission for examination of original documents by lawyers of Zakia Jafri.
However, Setalvad had also by way of application urged that she be allowed to examine the original documents and produced a power of attorney granted in her favour by Jafri.
Zakia, wife of ex-Congress MP Eshan Jafri who was killed along with 68 others in Gulburg society riot case had filed a complaint against Modi and others for larger conspiracy in 2002 riots.
SIT after filing a closure report in the complaint against Modi and others as per the direction of Supreme Court had given copies of all the related documents to Zakia.
However, Zakia had said in an application to the court that some documents were unreadable after which the court had given her permission to examine all the documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'