Guj riots: Bhatt appeals Prez for new probe panel
Ahmedabad: Suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt has petitioned President Pratibha Patil to appoint a new Commission of Inquiry to probe the role of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and others in 2002 riots.
"The Government of India should expeditiously appoint a two-member commission, under Section 3 of the Commissions of Inquiry Act 1952, headed by a retired Judge of the Supreme Court of India, to inquire into role of chief minister," Bhatt said in his petition to the president.
Bhatt further said that the role of Chief Minister and any other ministers in his council of ministers, police officers, other individuals and organisations with respect to the adequacy of administrative measures taken to prevent and deal with disturbances in Godhra and subsequent disturbances (communal riots) in the state should be examined by the new panel.
"The new commission should also inquire the adequacy of the steps and measures taken by the administration, from lst June 2002 till date; to facilitate relief, rehabilitation and the delivery of justice to the victims of the Godhra incident of 27th February 2002 and the subsequent communal riots of 2002 in the State of Gujarat," Bhatt has said.
It may be noted here that a panel headed by Supreme Court justice (retd) G T Nanavati and high court justice (retd) Akshay Mehta is already inquiring 2002 riots.
Bhatt also contended in his letter that there was a lacuna in terms of reference of Nanavati Commission.
The point of adequacy of administrative measures taken to prevent and deal with disturbances in Godhra and subsequent disturbances in the state--which was mentioned in the original terms of reference of Nanavati Commission--was deleted when the terms of reference were revised in 2004, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics