Guj riots: Minorities Comm summons IPS officers
Ahmedabad: National Commission for Minorities has summoned some former and serving Gujarat IPS officers in connection with the alleged destruction of crucial
records pertaining to the 2002 Godhra riots cases.
The Commission has directed IPS officers Sanjiv Bhatt (now suspended), Rahul Sharma and former State Intelligence Bureau Chief R B Sreekumar to appear before it in this regard.
"I shall be deposing before the NCM on March 12. We have been called regarding a representation filed before the Commission citing instances of destruction of the evidence related to 2002 riots in Gujarat," Bhatt said.
The Commission has called on those IPS officers who were then serving the state and are well aware of the developments that took place after the Godhra riots.
"I was asked by the commission to depose before it on March 12, but due to some prior engagement I have sought for a later date in this month," Sreekumar, who is now retired, said.
Another IPS officer Rahul Sharma who was also summoned by the NCM could not be reached for his reaction.
A representation citing destruction of riot-related evidence by the Narendra Modi government was filed before the Commission stating that the then serving IPS officers were fully aware of the destruction of property and subsequent developments taking place in the state, Sreekumar said.
In his letter to Justice G T Nanavati and Akshay Mehta Commission, which is probing the 2002 Godhra riots, Bhatt had alleged that the Gujarat government "systematically" destroyed the evidence related to the 2002 riots.
He had said that "very crucial and relevant records" have been "deviously" suppressed or destroyed by the Gujarat government as well as the Supreme Court-appointed SIT headed by R K Raghavan, with the "diabolical" motive of shielding
powerful persons from legal punishment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says