Guj riots: Probe stayed in fabricating of evidence
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday stayed the Gujarat High Court`s order giving green signal for an investigation against Rais Khan, former aide of social activist Teesta Setalvad, for allegedly fabricating evidence in a 2002 post-Godhra riot case.
A bench of justices Aftab Alam and R M Lodha also issued notices to Gujarat government and Khan on an appeal filed by Teesta and NGO Citizen for Justice and Peace, which has been working in the state in the aftermath of 2002 riots.
Challenging the High Court`s order, Advocate Sanajay Parekh, appearing for the petitioners, contended "it is apparent on the face of the entire proceedings that the attempt has been made to discredit and dissuade them from assisting the victims of the communal riots from getting justice".
The High Court had on July 11 rejected the petition filed by the Registrar, City Civil and Sessions Court, against last year`s magisterial court order for lodging of FIR against Khan
and initiating an inquiry under section 156(3) of CrPC.
The court has also permitted the police to go ahead with the probe on the basis of the FIR lodged against Khan.
The FIR was lodged after a special court, hearing the 2002 Naroda Gam riot case involving the killing of 11 persons, ordered that a criminal complaint be registered against Khan for "fabricating" evidence in December 2010.
It had asked the sessions court`s registrar to lodge a complaint against Khan and his associates and dismissed Khan`s plea to treat him as a witness in Naroda Gam case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened