Guj riots: SC asks SIT if documents can be given to Zakia Jafri
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday directed the SIT, which probed 2002 Gujarat riots cases, to apprise it on whether documents relating to the closure report of the case of killing of Congress leader Ehsan Jafri can be supplied to his wife Zakia Jafri.
"We direct the SIT (Special Investigation Team) Chairman to peruse the special leave petition (SLP) filed by the complainant (Zakia Jafri) and apprise us on whether the documents which are part of the closure report in the case can be supplied to the complainant or not," a bench comprising justices D K Jain and Madan B Lokur said.
The SIT headed by former CBI Director R K Raghavan had probed the riots cases including the Ahmedabad Gulburg Housing Society massacre case in which Jafri, a former Congress MP, was killed.
A trial court in Ahmedabad had on November 27 accepted the closure report filed on March 13, 2012 by the SIT in the case.
Zakia Jafri has filed the SLP challenging the order of the trial court rejecting her plea for supply of certain documents relating to the investigation in the case.
- How Twitter can help prevent asthma-related hospitalisation!
- Enrica Lexie case: Italy cites UN tribunal ruling, seeks Italian marine's release; India differs
- Vijay Mallya cries foul, says not given fair trial
- BJP TN chief receives 'threat' message
- Shocking! Water tankers meant for people being sold to businessmen for profit in drought-hit Maharashtra's Beed