Guj riots: SC asks SIT if documents can be given to Zakia Jafri
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday directed the SIT, which probed 2002 Gujarat riots cases, to apprise it on whether documents relating to the closure report of the case of killing of Congress leader Ehsan Jafri can be supplied to his wife Zakia Jafri.
"We direct the SIT (Special Investigation Team) Chairman to peruse the special leave petition (SLP) filed by the complainant (Zakia Jafri) and apprise us on whether the documents which are part of the closure report in the case can be supplied to the complainant or not," a bench comprising justices D K Jain and Madan B Lokur said.
The SIT headed by former CBI Director R K Raghavan had probed the riots cases including the Ahmedabad Gulburg Housing Society massacre case in which Jafri, a former Congress MP, was killed.
A trial court in Ahmedabad had on November 27 accepted the closure report filed on March 13, 2012 by the SIT in the case.
Zakia Jafri has filed the SLP challenging the order of the trial court rejecting her plea for supply of certain documents relating to the investigation in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?