Guj: Rush for cheap houses, people lathicharged
Ahmedabad: Police had to resort to lathi charge when a swollen crowed turned impatient to collect the forms for cheap houses in front of Gujarat Housing Board (GHB) office here on Monday.
In a desperate effort to checkmate the overwhelming response to the announcement of Gujarat Congress for providing affordable housing to housewives if voted to power, Modi government had announced the launch of seven projects in the state, offering 6,300 housing units, for people with various income groups.
On August 23, it was widely reported in local media that forms will be distributed from today morning for the new cheap houses, which were promised to be built by GHB shortly.
Since yesterday midnight people started gathering outside the GHB office here, but police had dispersed them by asking to return in the morning, police said.
The crowd of 1,500-2,000 people got impatient when even after the opening of GHB office no process for distribution of forms began, police said.
Following the announcement by the authorities that they have yet to print the forms, people got frustrated and at that time police had to resort to mild lathi charge to prevent any untoward incident, authorities said.
"Somebody might have played mischief with people`s sentiment, as we have made no announcement for any form distribution," GHB chairman Jayanti Barot said.
"We have not even printed any form as such, how come we distribute it. And before distribution we will give formal announcements in local media and then people will know," he added.
Electoral promise of a scheme of affordable houses, `Ghar nu Ghar`, for every housewife of the state by Gujarat Congress became instant hit with almost 30 lakh forms distributed across the state within a few days.
Shaken by the public response to the scheme, the state government activated GHB, its low cost housing construction arm, which was virtually lying dormant for past several years.
On August 22, Barot announced that GHB would launch seven projects in the state, offering 6,300 housing units, for people with various income groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert