Guj: Three Dalit youths killed in police firing
Rajkot: Three Dalit youths were killed in police firing at Thangadh town near here following clashes with members from another community, police said on Sunday.
The trouble between Dalits and the Bharwad (Shepherd) community members started at the Tarnetar fair held near Thangadh in Surendranagar district which concluded yesterday, police said.
The members of the two communities reportedly clashed over some issue after the fair.
The police first resorted to lathicharge and then fired tear gas shells, they said. When the violence continued, police fired in the air in which a Dalit boy was killed while two others were seriously injured.
They succumbed today, police said.
"To quell the mob, police first resorted to lathicharge, then fired tear gas shells, but as violence continued and stone throwing started, we had to fire in air," a police official said.
Meanwhile, clashes between the two groups flared up again this afternoon, police said, adding, security has been stepped up in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'