Guj: Three Dalit youths killed in police firing
Rajkot: Three Dalit youths were killed in police firing at Thangadh town near here following clashes with members from another community, police said on Sunday.
The trouble between Dalits and the Bharwad (Shepherd) community members started at the Tarnetar fair held near Thangadh in Surendranagar district which concluded yesterday, police said.
The members of the two communities reportedly clashed over some issue after the fair.
The police first resorted to lathicharge and then fired tear gas shells, they said. When the violence continued, police fired in the air in which a Dalit boy was killed while two others were seriously injured.
They succumbed today, police said.
"To quell the mob, police first resorted to lathicharge, then fired tear gas shells, but as violence continued and stone throwing started, we had to fire in air," a police official said.
Meanwhile, clashes between the two groups flared up again this afternoon, police said, adding, security has been stepped up in the area.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?