Guj: Three Dalit youths killed in police firing
Rajkot: Three Dalit youths were killed in police firing at Thangadh town near here following clashes with members from another community, police said on Sunday.
The trouble between Dalits and the Bharwad (Shepherd) community members started at the Tarnetar fair held near Thangadh in Surendranagar district which concluded yesterday, police said.
The members of the two communities reportedly clashed over some issue after the fair.
The police first resorted to lathicharge and then fired tear gas shells, they said. When the violence continued, police fired in the air in which a Dalit boy was killed while two others were seriously injured.
They succumbed today, police said.
"To quell the mob, police first resorted to lathicharge, then fired tear gas shells, but as violence continued and stone throwing started, we had to fire in air," a police official said.
Meanwhile, clashes between the two groups flared up again this afternoon, police said, adding, security has been stepped up in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez