Guj: Three Dalit youths killed in police firing
Rajkot: Three Dalit youths were killed in police firing at Thangadh town near here following clashes with members from another community, police said on Sunday.
The trouble between Dalits and the Bharwad (Shepherd) community members started at the Tarnetar fair held near Thangadh in Surendranagar district which concluded yesterday, police said.
The members of the two communities reportedly clashed over some issue after the fair.
The police first resorted to lathicharge and then fired tear gas shells, they said. When the violence continued, police fired in the air in which a Dalit boy was killed while two others were seriously injured.
They succumbed today, police said.
"To quell the mob, police first resorted to lathicharge, then fired tear gas shells, but as violence continued and stone throwing started, we had to fire in air," a police official said.
Meanwhile, clashes between the two groups flared up again this afternoon, police said, adding, security has been stepped up in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Ruby Rai, Bihar Class 12 topper now under arrest for cheating, says she never wanted to top the exam
- Euro 2016: Iceland stun England in one of greatest ever shocks
- Three new suicide attacks in Lebanon village near Syria
- Preparing for Brexit, Britain may see new PM by early September
- US says India has shown sustained commitment to non-proliferation