Gujarat: 12 injured as Ganesha procession turns violent
Anand: Violence broke out between members of two communities during Ganesha immersion procession at Dahemi village near here with mob attacking vehicles and shops and indulging in stone pelting.
At least 12 people were injured and two shops, two cars and four motorcycles were torched in the flare-up, a police officer said, adding 11 persons have been arrested.
"People were sprinkling gulal (colour) during the procession. When the procession reached a place of worship some of the gulal fell on its wall angering members of a community," he said.
A verbal duel was ensued between members of the two communities, which soon turned violent with people pelting stones at each other, leaving twelve of them injured.
In the violence, a man was attacked with acid and was admitted to Shree Krishna Hospital at Karmasad, along with three others who were hit by stones.
The situation was brought under control after the local police called in additional back-up from Borsad town police, Anand LCB and SOG to quell the clash.
Anand SP Rajendra Asari said "the situation is now under control".
Ahmedabad IG (Range) RB Brahmbhatt and other senior officials have rushed to the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video