Gujarat: 2 accused of spying for ISI, sent to police custody
Ahmedabad: A local court on Monday sent two accused who were arrested for passing sensitive defence information to Pakistan`s ISI to police custody for eight days.
Detection of Crime Branch (DCB) today produced both the accused Sirajuddin Ali (22) and Mohammad Ayub (23) before Metropolitan Magistrate BJ Ganatra and sought their custody for 14 days to further interrogate them over their alleged activities of espionage.
The Court, however, ordered them to remain in police custody till October 23.
Inspector HK Rathod today submitted before the court that they needed custody of the two accused to find out whether there were more people involved in collecting and passing of the sensitive information to the spy agency of the neighbouring country.
He also submitted that one of the accused had visited Pakistan and some other countries and they have to find out as to whom did he meet there and for what purpose.
Sources said that Sirajuddin Ali had visited African countries like Tanzania where he had spent considerable time allegedly to get espionage training.
Crime Branch had yesterday apprehended Ali and Ayub, both residents of Ahmedabad, for allegedly passing on confidential information related to Army base in Bhuj and Army Cantonment here to Pakistan`s Inter-Services Intelligence.
While Ali used to supply eggs to Army canteen, Ayub is a student. The duo used to get money through Western Union Money Transfer for the vital information they provided, police said adding that they used to converse in code language and had prepared rough sketches of Army base in Bhuj and Cantonment here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends