Gujarat: 50 IPS officers transferred
Ahmedabad: Gujarat government has transferred
50 IPS officers, including Satish Verma, a member of special
investigation team which probed Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
Verma, currently JCP (traffic) for Ahmedabad city, has
been now appointed as principal of Police Training College in
As per the notification issued late last night, six IPS
officers have been promoted from the rank of Superintendent of
Police (SP) to Deputy Inspector General (DIG). They include RJ Savani, accused of negligence by 2002 Gujarat riots victims.
Eleven police inspectors have been promoted as Deputy
Superintendents of Police, and transfered. Seven existing DySP
rank officers have been also transfered.
Verma was a part of the Gujarat High Court-appointed SIT
in Ishrat case. The SIT concluded that the encounter was fake,
following which the High court handed over the case to CBI.
Savani, accused of negligence during the post-Godhra
riots by many of the victims and the NGO Jan Sangharsh Manch
(JSM), has been promoted as DIG-Railways for Gujarat.
Savani, at present SP of Mehsana, was DCP Zone (V) in
2002; Naroda Patiya, Naroda Gam and Gulburg society which
faced large-scale communal violence were in his jurisdiction.
Atul Karwal, a Gujarat-cadre IPS officer who scaled Mount
Everest in 2009, has also been transfered from current posting
of JCP Sector 2 in Ahmedabad to Joint Director, State Police
Academy, Karai, Gandhinagar.
Karwal will be replaced by SG Bhatti, at present
Additional Police Commissioner (traffic and crime), Surat.
The police inspectors who have been promoted to DySP
rank (class 1) will have to clear the computer skills test
within three months, otherwise they will be demoted to the PI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror