Gujarat acts on critically polluted clusters
Ahmedabad: After the state pollution control board declared eight clusters of Gujarat as critically polluted, an action plan has been rolled out to ensure that industrial units in these areas comply with the laid down norms, an official said Saturday.
According to the Gujarat Pollution Control Board (GPCB) official, efforts were being initiated to improve the situation in the clusters of Bhavnagar, Vatwa, Odhav, Ankleshvar, Vapi, Naroda, Narol and Junagadh.
"The plan includes upgradation of plants to comply with norms, a more stringent scrutiny of zero discharge claimants and extending a helping hand to units to comply with industrial norms.
"We are roping in respective industry associations in a big way to ensure that the situation is remedied at the earliest lest the industrial activity will suffer a blow due to restrictions," the official said.
The Central Pollution Control body came down heavily on Gujarat as part of its nationwide campaign to address spiraling industrial pollution. Providing relief to Vadodara, Rajkot and Surat, it kept eight industrial clusters in the critically polluted list and banned new units there.
"Gujarat must now initiate immediate steps to improve the situation in these clusters to get the ban lifted. Stringent checks are in the offing to decrease pollution levels. These include micro-management steps at all levels to ensure concrete results in a short duration," said RG Shah, GPCB member secretary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy