Gujarat adopted adversarial attitude in Sohrabuddin case: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday told the Gujarat government that it has been adopting "adversarial attitude" in the proceedings relating to the case of fake encounter killing of gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh in which its former minister Amit Shah is one of the accused.
"Don`t forget (that) the state has been taking adversarial attitude and sometime adversarial attitude turns into hostile attitude. Here is a prima facie case in which three persons were killed in cold blood and the matter needs to be investigated.
"More than once we said state should have shown anxiety to come to the bottom of the things. Why should it happen anywhere in the country?," said a bench of justices Aftab Alam and Ranjana Prakash Desai.
The bench made the remarks when Gujarat`s Additional Advocate General Tushar Mehta was making submissions during the hearing of the CBI`s plea for cancellation of Shah`s bail.
The bench, which reserved its order on the CBI`s plea to cancel Shah`s bail and that of former minister to allow him to enter the state in view of the upcoming Assembly election, was told by his counsel Ram Jethmalani that his conduct in the past months should be taken into account for grant of the relief.
The bench turned down the CBI`s suggestion that Shah should be directed to stay outside Gujarat if his bail is allowed to be continued.
"That is not accepted. Can you suggest any other condition?," the bench asked CBI counsel Vivek Tankha.
Senior advocate Gopal Subramanian, who is assisting the court as amicus curiae in the case, suggested that the former Gujarat minister should be directed that he should not influence the trial directly or indirectly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC