Gujarat announces seven new districts
Ahmedabad: Keeping its poll promise, the Gujarat government today announced the creation of seven new districts, taking the total number of districts in the state to 33, from 26 districts until recently.
The seven new districts of Aravalli, Botad, Chota Udeipur, Morbi, Mahisagar, Gir-Somnath and Dwarka would become come into effect from August 15, Gujarat government spokesperson Nitin Patel said.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi had announced creation of various districts and talukas last year during the Vivekananda Yuva Vikas Yatra (VYVY) before the state election.
He had also said that the districts and talukas would become functional by January 26 this year. However, the state could not fulfill its promise immediately and thereafter, it decided to announce the functioning of new districts from August 15.
However, the formation of new talukas is yet to be announced. Patel said that the creation of new talukas from existing 225 talukas is underway and will be announced soon.
Currently, there are eight districts in Saurashtra, seven districts in South Gujarat, six in North Gujarat and five in Central Gujarat.
"The districts have been created after a sub-committee formed under the aegis of the chief secretary studied opinions of district collectors and looked into representations made by the people," Patel said.
The revenue ministry under Anandi Patel, has made all necessary arrangements for formation and administration of the new districts, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog