Gujarat asks MCI to review decision on medical colleges
Gandhinagar: The Gujarat government Thursday requested the Medical Council of India (MCI) to review its decision rejecting proposals for two new medical colleges in the state and the renewal of permission to run an existing one.
The MCI July 13 rejected the proposals for starting government medical colleges at Sola in Ahmedabad, Gotri in Vadodara and withheld the permission of K. J. Mehta medical college in Bhavnagar, which had been operational since last year.
Health Minister Jaynarayan Vyas said the decision would seriously hamper the state`s efforts to meet the shortage of medical practitioners.
"Gujarat is facing a serious shortage of qualified doctors. Of the total 3,053 posts for class two medical officers, over 700 are lying vacant. Besides the existing vacancies, the state needs more medicos for it`s rural areas," Vyas told reporters.
He also said that a high-level team including the state health secretary and the director of medical education was already in Delhi for the purpose.
Meanwhile, the Gujarat government has now imposed a limit on the payment of non-private practicing allowance (NPPA) to it`s senior medical professionals.
A government resolution, issued by the finance department, has said that the basic pay and the NPPA should not exceed Rs.75,500 per month.
This is likely to cap the emoluments of at least 250 senior medicos and seems to be a move designed to ensure that their salaries do not cross those of principal secretaries of the Gujarat government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read