Gujarat asks MCI to review decision on medical colleges
Gandhinagar: The Gujarat government Thursday requested the Medical Council of India (MCI) to review its decision rejecting proposals for two new medical colleges in the state and the renewal of permission to run an existing one.
The MCI July 13 rejected the proposals for starting government medical colleges at Sola in Ahmedabad, Gotri in Vadodara and withheld the permission of K. J. Mehta medical college in Bhavnagar, which had been operational since last year.
Health Minister Jaynarayan Vyas said the decision would seriously hamper the state`s efforts to meet the shortage of medical practitioners.
"Gujarat is facing a serious shortage of qualified doctors. Of the total 3,053 posts for class two medical officers, over 700 are lying vacant. Besides the existing vacancies, the state needs more medicos for it`s rural areas," Vyas told reporters.
He also said that a high-level team including the state health secretary and the director of medical education was already in Delhi for the purpose.
Meanwhile, the Gujarat government has now imposed a limit on the payment of non-private practicing allowance (NPPA) to it`s senior medical professionals.
A government resolution, issued by the finance department, has said that the basic pay and the NPPA should not exceed Rs.75,500 per month.
This is likely to cap the emoluments of at least 250 senior medicos and seems to be a move designed to ensure that their salaries do not cross those of principal secretaries of the Gujarat government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened