Gujarat asks MCI to review decision on medical colleges
Gandhinagar: The Gujarat government Thursday requested the Medical Council of India (MCI) to review its decision rejecting proposals for two new medical colleges in the state and the renewal of permission to run an existing one.
The MCI July 13 rejected the proposals for starting government medical colleges at Sola in Ahmedabad, Gotri in Vadodara and withheld the permission of K. J. Mehta medical college in Bhavnagar, which had been operational since last year.
Health Minister Jaynarayan Vyas said the decision would seriously hamper the state`s efforts to meet the shortage of medical practitioners.
"Gujarat is facing a serious shortage of qualified doctors. Of the total 3,053 posts for class two medical officers, over 700 are lying vacant. Besides the existing vacancies, the state needs more medicos for it`s rural areas," Vyas told reporters.
He also said that a high-level team including the state health secretary and the director of medical education was already in Delhi for the purpose.
Meanwhile, the Gujarat government has now imposed a limit on the payment of non-private practicing allowance (NPPA) to it`s senior medical professionals.
A government resolution, issued by the finance department, has said that the basic pay and the NPPA should not exceed Rs.75,500 per month.
This is likely to cap the emoluments of at least 250 senior medicos and seems to be a move designed to ensure that their salaries do not cross those of principal secretaries of the Gujarat government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?