Gujarat Assembly: Congress walkout on Rangnath Mishra report
Gandhinagar: Opposition Congress on Saturday
staged a walkout from the state Assembly on the issue of
discussion on Rangnath Mishra Commission`s recommendations.
The commission favours reservation to minorities and
giving SC status to the converted Dalits.
Gujarat minister for social justice and empowerment
Fakirbhai Patel introduced a resolution in the Assembly,
asking the Central government to not implement the
recommendations which will create social divisions in the
However, leader of opposition Shaktisinh Gohil demanded
that since the matter is sub judice and the report has just
been placed before Parliament, it could not be discussed in
the state Assembly.
But the speaker, Ashok Bhatt, allowed discussion on the
issue, which promoted the Opposition to walkout on the last
day of the three-day brief Assembly session.
The ruling party held that the report of the commission
is an attempt the divide the society on the basis of religious
lines while the Opposition said the same cannot be discussed
as the matter is pending with the apex court and the findings
have just been tabled in the Lok Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Most doctors prefer partners from medical profession: Survey
- Bangladesh upholds death sentence for top Islamist
- US tries to stop feuding allies from unraveling Syria strategy
- After Rio disappointment, Yogeshwar Dutt receives boost with London 2012 medal upgrade
- First look: Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' posters will leave you intrigued – View inside