Gujarat Assembly: Congress walkout on Rangnath Mishra report
Gandhinagar: Opposition Congress on Saturday
staged a walkout from the state Assembly on the issue of
discussion on Rangnath Mishra Commission`s recommendations.
The commission favours reservation to minorities and
giving SC status to the converted Dalits.
Gujarat minister for social justice and empowerment
Fakirbhai Patel introduced a resolution in the Assembly,
asking the Central government to not implement the
recommendations which will create social divisions in the
However, leader of opposition Shaktisinh Gohil demanded
that since the matter is sub judice and the report has just
been placed before Parliament, it could not be discussed in
the state Assembly.
But the speaker, Ashok Bhatt, allowed discussion on the
issue, which promoted the Opposition to walkout on the last
day of the three-day brief Assembly session.
The ruling party held that the report of the commission
is an attempt the divide the society on the basis of religious
lines while the Opposition said the same cannot be discussed
as the matter is pending with the apex court and the findings
have just been tabled in the Lok Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- 'Madaari' grosses Rs 4.45 crore worldwide on opening day
- One jawan martyred as Army foils infiltration bid in Kupwara, curfew lifted from parts of Valley
- 'Casino Royale' actress Caterina Murino was sleepless over rape cases in India
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' beats Salman Khan's 'Sultan', crosses Rs 40 cr mark on opening day!
- India-Bangladesh border will be secured, says Assam CM Sonowal