Gujarat Assembly: Congress walkout on Rangnath Mishra report
Gandhinagar: Opposition Congress on Saturday
staged a walkout from the state Assembly on the issue of
discussion on Rangnath Mishra Commission`s recommendations.
The commission favours reservation to minorities and
giving SC status to the converted Dalits.
Gujarat minister for social justice and empowerment
Fakirbhai Patel introduced a resolution in the Assembly,
asking the Central government to not implement the
recommendations which will create social divisions in the
However, leader of opposition Shaktisinh Gohil demanded
that since the matter is sub judice and the report has just
been placed before Parliament, it could not be discussed in
the state Assembly.
But the speaker, Ashok Bhatt, allowed discussion on the
issue, which promoted the Opposition to walkout on the last
day of the three-day brief Assembly session.
The ruling party held that the report of the commission
is an attempt the divide the society on the basis of religious
lines while the Opposition said the same cannot be discussed
as the matter is pending with the apex court and the findings
have just been tabled in the Lok Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi