Gujarat Assembly passes four amendment bills
Gandhinagar: On the second day of the budget session of Gujarat Assembly on Wednesday four bills amending the existing laws were passed.
The legislature passed Gujarat Taxation Laws (Amendment) Bill-2014, Gujarat Court-Fees (Amendments) Bill-2014, Gujarat Civil Courts (Amendment) Bill-2014 and Gujarat Agricultural Universities (Amendment) Bill-2014.
While tabling the taxation laws amendment bill, finance minister Saurabh Patel said it will give the government powers to recover dues from defaulter firms.
The state government will be now treated as `a secured creditor` for recovery of taxes under Gujarat Tax on Professions, Trades, Callings and Employments Act, Gujarat Entertainment Tax Act, Gujarat Tax on Luxuries (Hotels and Lodging) Act, and Gujarat Tax on Entry of Specified Goods into Local Areas Act.
"Today, when a firm is declared defaulter, secured creditors are given priority in recovery of dues. After that, unsecured creditors are given their share from whatever is left. As per the existing laws, state can only collect dues for unpaid VAT as a secured creditor, but there was no such policy for unpaid professional tax, entertainment tax, luxury tax and entry tax," said Patel.
"With the amendment, government will have the first right to collect dues from defaulter. This will decrease our burden of outstanding debts," Patel told the house.
Gujarat Court Fees (Amendments) Bill-2014 reduces the court fee, which a litigant seeking a higher compensation for a land acquired by the government has to pay, from 50 per cent of ad-velorem fee to 10 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened