Gujarat Assembly resolves to construct `statue of unity`
Gandhinagar: After Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley allotted Rs 200 crore to build a 182-metre high statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the Guajrat Assembly on Thursday passed a `private member`s resolution` urging the state government to take appropriate action to build the statue.
BJP MLA Motilal Vasava presented his `private member`s resolution` on the statue of unity, claimed to become the highest ever statue in the world after it is built.
Giving details about the project, Vasava said the statue, also known as the `Statue of Unity`, would become the highest ever in the world with a height of 182 metres.
"I welcome the decision by the state government to build a 182-metre high statue in Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel`s memory. The memorial as well the statue will be built on `Sadhu Bet` island in the Narmada river, 3 km away from the Sardar Sarovar dam," Vasava said while tabling his resolution in the house.
"Along with the memorial, the government will construct a bridge to connect the island, a memorial visitor centre, a garden, a hotel and aconvention centre" Vasava said.
He said that expert engineers with international exposure would be roped in by the government to complete the project.
"This memorial is a legacy to be handed over by us to the next generation. I am sure that the statue and memorial will enhance tourism in the tribal belt near Kevadia colony. On behalf of this house, I request the state government to take effective steps in building this memorial," Vasava said while putting the resolution in the house for approval.
All the members in the house, including Congress MLAs, unanimously passed the resolution, BJP chief whip Pankaj Desai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video