Gujarat Assembly speaker Ashok Bhatt passes away
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Assembly speaker and
senior BJP leader Ashok Bhatt passed away Wednesday night at a
hospital here following multiple organ failure.
Bhatt (71) was undergoing treatment at the SAL
hospital here since the last 20 days after he had developed
complications in functioning of heart and other vital organs
like kidney and liver.
Since the last three days, Bhatt was on life support
system and he died at around 11 pm on Wednesday, sources close to
Bhatt in the BJP said.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi had earlier in the day
visited Bhatt in the hospital.
Bhatt became the eighth speaker of the state assembly
after the December 2007 election.
Bhatt was eight times MLA from Khadiya constituency
and earlier he had handled the Health and Law portfolios as a
minister in the Gujarat government.
He is survived by his son Bhushan who is councillor in
Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!