Gujarat Assembly speaker Ashok Bhatt passes away
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Assembly speaker and
senior BJP leader Ashok Bhatt passed away Wednesday night at a
hospital here following multiple organ failure.
Bhatt (71) was undergoing treatment at the SAL
hospital here since the last 20 days after he had developed
complications in functioning of heart and other vital organs
like kidney and liver.
Since the last three days, Bhatt was on life support
system and he died at around 11 pm on Wednesday, sources close to
Bhatt in the BJP said.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi had earlier in the day
visited Bhatt in the hospital.
Bhatt became the eighth speaker of the state assembly
after the December 2007 election.
Bhatt was eight times MLA from Khadiya constituency
and earlier he had handled the Health and Law portfolios as a
minister in the Gujarat government.
He is survived by his son Bhushan who is councillor in
Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened