Gujarat Assembly speaker Ashok Bhatt passes away
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Assembly speaker and
senior BJP leader Ashok Bhatt passed away Wednesday night at a
hospital here following multiple organ failure.
Bhatt (71) was undergoing treatment at the SAL
hospital here since the last 20 days after he had developed
complications in functioning of heart and other vital organs
like kidney and liver.
Since the last three days, Bhatt was on life support
system and he died at around 11 pm on Wednesday, sources close to
Bhatt in the BJP said.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi had earlier in the day
visited Bhatt in the hospital.
Bhatt became the eighth speaker of the state assembly
after the December 2007 election.
Bhatt was eight times MLA from Khadiya constituency
and earlier he had handled the Health and Law portfolios as a
minister in the Gujarat government.
He is survived by his son Bhushan who is councillor in
Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj