Gujarat awaits govt`s order on Somali Pirates
Vadodara: The Gujarat government is waiting for instructions from the Centre over the release of 14 Somali pirates, who are still in jail despite being freed by a court in Junagadh last month.
These pirates along with three Yemeni fishermen were captured from Nadel, a small port near Una in Junagadh district, in June last year for illegally entering Indian waters.
On January 20, a court in Junagadh ordered their release after the State Government withdrew cases against them after intervention of the Centre and Mumbai-based Consulate General of Yemen.
While the fishermen were handed over to Yemeni authorities, the Somali pirates are still in a prison in Junagadh.
"We have already released the three fishermen and handed them over to Yemeni Consulate officials," Dipankar Trivedi,
Junagadh Superintendent of Police, said.
"We are awaiting instructions from the Centre for the release of the 14 Somali pirates who are still in jail," he
Nothing incriminating had been recovered from the pirates during their interrogation by various agencies, police
sources had said. PTI
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India