Gujarat awaits govt`s order on Somali Pirates
Vadodara: The Gujarat government is waiting for instructions from the Centre over the release of 14 Somali pirates, who are still in jail despite being freed by a court in Junagadh last month.
These pirates along with three Yemeni fishermen were captured from Nadel, a small port near Una in Junagadh district, in June last year for illegally entering Indian waters.
On January 20, a court in Junagadh ordered their release after the State Government withdrew cases against them after intervention of the Centre and Mumbai-based Consulate General of Yemen.
While the fishermen were handed over to Yemeni authorities, the Somali pirates are still in a prison in Junagadh.
"We have already released the three fishermen and handed them over to Yemeni Consulate officials," Dipankar Trivedi,
Junagadh Superintendent of Police, said.
"We are awaiting instructions from the Centre for the release of the 14 Somali pirates who are still in jail," he
Nothing incriminating had been recovered from the pirates during their interrogation by various agencies, police
sources had said. PTI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!