Gujarat BJP MP Dinu Bogha Solanki arrested for murdering Amit Jethwa
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi/Gujarat: In a major development, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Tuesday arrested BJP MP Dinu Bogha Solanki in connection with sensational murder of Gujarat RTI activist and `green crusader` Amit Jethwa.
Jethwa was shot dead by some unidentified assailants near the Gujarat High Court on July 20, 2010.
Solanki, an MP from Junagarh, had arrived at the CBI headquarters today morning and was questioned by a special team, official sources said here. He had earlier been given a clean chit by Gujarat Police.
The Gujarat High Court on September 25, 2012 had ordered a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the matter.
Jethwa was campaigning against alleged illegal mining in the Gir Sanctuary areas in Saurashtra region, which is allegedly backed by some politicians.
Jethwa had filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) in the Gujarat High Court. The petition alleged that mining activities were being carried out in Una and Kodinar in Saurashtra allegedly by Junagadh BJP MP Dinubhai Boghabhai Solanki and his relatives.
Jethwa had further alleged that the Solankis were also running illegal mines and stone crushers in a village on the border of Gir forests.
However, the Gujarat Police Crime Branch had later given a clean chit to BJP MP Dinu Solanki in connection with the Jethva murder case.
Dissatisfied over the clean chit given to the BJP MP, Amit`s father, Bhikha, later had filed a petition in the High Court, seeking probe by the CBI or any other independent agency, in October 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'