Gujarat capital gets municipal corporation
Gandhinagar: The Gujarat government Tuesday announced the grant of municipal corporation status to the state capital Gandhinagar.
Urban Development Minister Nitin Patel announced the decision in the state assembly Tuesday, making the state capital the eighth municipal corporation in the state.
Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodara, Rajkot, Jamnagar, Bhavnagar and Junagadh already enjoy this status in the state.
The announcement came on the last day of the expiry of the six-month deadline set by the high court for the formation of the municipal corporation after a local citizen`s body sought its intervention in the regard.
The state capital has been without a local self-government up to now with a notified authority headed by the district collector functioning directly under the aegis of the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!