Gujarat capital gets municipal corporation
Gandhinagar: The Gujarat government Tuesday announced the grant of municipal corporation status to the state capital Gandhinagar.
Urban Development Minister Nitin Patel announced the decision in the state assembly Tuesday, making the state capital the eighth municipal corporation in the state.
Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodara, Rajkot, Jamnagar, Bhavnagar and Junagadh already enjoy this status in the state.
The announcement came on the last day of the expiry of the six-month deadline set by the high court for the formation of the municipal corporation after a local citizen`s body sought its intervention in the regard.
The state capital has been without a local self-government up to now with a notified authority headed by the district collector functioning directly under the aegis of the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks