Gujarat coast used for narcotics smuggling: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress Sunday accused Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi of major security lapses in his state`s coastal region leading to narcotics smuggling.
"On 22nd/23rd April, 1,032 kg of heroin valued at 289 million Australian dollars was seized by the Australian Coalition Maritime Forces from a Gujarat-registered ship Laxmi-Narain off the coast of Kenya," Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi told media here.
He said the ship was allegedly chartered in October 2013 to Gujarat-based Haji Bashi alias Haza Bhai Kathiriyain, whose brother Haji Ajij Kungda is an eminent leader of the BJP in Jamnagar district`s Salaya city.
Singhvi alleged that the ship was used for terrorist activity.
"According to Terry Morrison, the commander of the naval ship belonging to Coalition Maritime Forces, which seized Laxmi-Narain, these drugs assist terrorist organisations, including Al Qaeda to conduct violent acts," Singhvi claimed.
He accused the Bharatiya Janata Party`s prime ministerial candidate of failing to utilise the grants allotted by the central government and ensure coastal security.
"Has the state government failed to provide even minimum apparatus support facilities and diesel to Marine police in Gujarat for its boats," he asked.
BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi rubbished the accusations, saying the Coast Guard comes under the central government.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Film with Alia Bhatt not typical hero-heroine one: Shah Rukh Khan
- IPL 9: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders – Probably playing XIs; players to watch out for
- Amazing! Village in China painted with 3D colours to attract tourists; See PICS
- Vital facts about Kangana Ranaut's leaked image suppressed: Hrithik Roshan's camp
- Sunita Williams, team to ensure safe cargo flights to ISS