Gujarat coast used for narcotics smuggling: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress Sunday accused Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi of major security lapses in his state`s coastal region leading to narcotics smuggling.
"On 22nd/23rd April, 1,032 kg of heroin valued at 289 million Australian dollars was seized by the Australian Coalition Maritime Forces from a Gujarat-registered ship Laxmi-Narain off the coast of Kenya," Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi told media here.
He said the ship was allegedly chartered in October 2013 to Gujarat-based Haji Bashi alias Haza Bhai Kathiriyain, whose brother Haji Ajij Kungda is an eminent leader of the BJP in Jamnagar district`s Salaya city.
Singhvi alleged that the ship was used for terrorist activity.
"According to Terry Morrison, the commander of the naval ship belonging to Coalition Maritime Forces, which seized Laxmi-Narain, these drugs assist terrorist organisations, including Al Qaeda to conduct violent acts," Singhvi claimed.
He accused the Bharatiya Janata Party`s prime ministerial candidate of failing to utilise the grants allotted by the central government and ensure coastal security.
"Has the state government failed to provide even minimum apparatus support facilities and diesel to Marine police in Gujarat for its boats," he asked.
BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi rubbished the accusations, saying the Coast Guard comes under the central government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’