Gujarat Cong announces sops for farmers
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat Congress on Thursday promised 16 hours of uninterrupted electricity supply and several other sops to farmers in the state if it forms the next government.
Senior Congress leaders including state president Arjun Modhwadia, leader of Opposition Shaktisinh Gohil and Election Campaign Committee Chairman Shankarsinh Vaghela, while addressing the media here also assured new electricity connections to 10 lakh farmers.
The party leadership while announcing their 12-point Gujarat Praja Vikas Darshan also announced the removal of Dark Zone from the state.
The Gujarat government had declared `Dark Zone` in such areas where ground water level has depleted to alarming levels and had banned the new electricity connections there.
"In the past 17 years, BJP government has done nothing for farmers of the state and instead it has discontinued every scheme and programme benefitting them. Congress government will revive all those schemes," said Modhwadia.
Among various sops offered today to the voters of the state include removing the ban on providing new connections in the Dark Zone areas, discontinuing the metered electricity to the farmers, giving them power supply with proper voltage, 90 percent subsidy to the pumps using solar or wind power, equipping 18000 villages with solar street lights.
Congress leaders have also promised to hold electricity companies and its officials responsible if new connections were not given within six months of application for the same.
The Congress today alleged that during the past so many years, BJP government has never bothered to maintain and implement consistent policy for giving affordable price to peanut and cotton growers.
"If we will form the next government than we will allot Rs 10,000 crore corpus fund for effective market intervention so that farmers would get good prices of their crops," said Gohil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Full List: 10 wealthiest countries in the world; India at 7th place
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi