Gujarat Cong announces sops for farmers
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat Congress on Thursday promised 16 hours of uninterrupted electricity supply and several other sops to farmers in the state if it forms the next government.
Senior Congress leaders including state president Arjun Modhwadia, leader of Opposition Shaktisinh Gohil and Election Campaign Committee Chairman Shankarsinh Vaghela, while addressing the media here also assured new electricity connections to 10 lakh farmers.
The party leadership while announcing their 12-point Gujarat Praja Vikas Darshan also announced the removal of Dark Zone from the state.
The Gujarat government had declared `Dark Zone` in such areas where ground water level has depleted to alarming levels and had banned the new electricity connections there.
"In the past 17 years, BJP government has done nothing for farmers of the state and instead it has discontinued every scheme and programme benefitting them. Congress government will revive all those schemes," said Modhwadia.
Among various sops offered today to the voters of the state include removing the ban on providing new connections in the Dark Zone areas, discontinuing the metered electricity to the farmers, giving them power supply with proper voltage, 90 percent subsidy to the pumps using solar or wind power, equipping 18000 villages with solar street lights.
Congress leaders have also promised to hold electricity companies and its officials responsible if new connections were not given within six months of application for the same.
The Congress today alleged that during the past so many years, BJP government has never bothered to maintain and implement consistent policy for giving affordable price to peanut and cotton growers.
"If we will form the next government than we will allot Rs 10,000 crore corpus fund for effective market intervention so that farmers would get good prices of their crops," said Gohil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city