Gujarat Cong gets over 16 lakh forms on free plots scheme
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress` poll promise of providing 100 sq yard of plots to rural poor and middle class women received a huge response, with the party receiving 16.42 lakh forms in the state on Monday, a press release issued by the opposition party claimed.
The party has opened facilities to collect the forms for this scheme at 225 taluka centres of the state from today, the release said.
Congress has also promised houses to urban poor and middle class women if the party was voted to power in the state assembly elections, which had also received good response from urban areas of the state. The state assembly polls are scheduled to be held on December 13 and 17.
Addressing a gathering of women at Dehgam in Gandhinagar district, the Gujarat Congress president Arjun Modhwadia said, "Women of Gujarat should create a history by voting the Congress party to power to fulfil the 12-point agenda put forward by Congress president Sonia Gandhi."
Stating that the Congress was concerned about the middle class and the poor, Modhwadia claimed that the party would provide a loan of Rs 1 lakh to the beneficiaries under this scheme, to start construction work on 30 sq metres land, who could return it within 15 years.
Alleging that the Modi-led BJP government was providing interest-free loans and large chunks of lands to industrial houses, the senior Congress leader also accused the state government of levying taxes on fertilisers given to farmers, not reducing the Value Added Tax (VAT) on petrol and diesel and giving away grazing lands to industrialists without even asking the Land Committee.
Modhwadia lashed out at the state machinery for using
state transport buses for chief minister`s programme and causing inconvenience to the people.
The Porbandar MLA also took a dig at Modi`s claims that farmers in Gujarat buy Maruti cars every year, saying "How can this be possible when farmers in the state have not been provided water for irrigation, when farmers have to queue up for getting power?"
He lambasted the state government for not implementing the Right to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act, adding that students, who had cleared SSC and HSC examinations, were unable to pursue higher education, as they had to pay hefty donations to get admission into self-financed engineering colleges.
Targeting Modi, Modhwadia alleged that the chief minister was actually waiting to cement his place in Delhi.
He accused Modi of pretending to have
undertaken a large scale of development work even as he had done "nothing worthwhile".
"The BJP has not distributed 100 square yards of plot to the poor so that they can make homes. In addition, 6,000 villages don`t get drinking water and there are more than 10 lakh unemployed youth in the state during the BJP regime," Modhwadia alleged.
The programme was attended by Patan MP Jagdish Thakore, Congress women`s wing president Sonal Patel, Gandhinagar Congress president C J Chavda, among others.
Congress has also promised to give free laptops to all college students if they come to power and reduce VAT on petrol and diesel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks