Gujarat Cong MLAs suspended for rest of session
Gandhinagar: All Congress MLAs in Gujarat
Assembly were on Wednesday suspended for the rest of the budget
session for stalling proceedings of the House after a
resolution to this effect was moved by ruling BJP.
With the expulsion, the state assembly will function
without any opposition member for the remaining two days of
In the 182-member House, Congress has 54 members.
However, Leader of the Opposition Shaktisinh Gohil had already
been suspended for the entire session which ends on March 30.
The day started with Congress legislators entering the
House holding placards and shouting slogans demanding tabling
of a Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report in the
House, which they claim exposes "BJP government`s corruption".
Congress leader Siddarth Patel alleged even though some
excerpts of the report appeared in newspapers, the state
government was reluctant to table it in the House.
Speaker Ganpat Vasava asked Congress MLAs not to display
placards in the House as any kind of demonstration is not
allowed there. However, Congress members continued with their
protest, after which the Speaker adjourned the Assembly for an
When the House reassembled, Congress legislators demanded
a discussion on the rise in prices of groundnut and other
However, the Speaker rejected their demand saying it was
not on the agenda of day`s work. Congress members then
displayed edible oil tins and shouted slogans like "Under Modi
rule, liquor is cheaper than oil", following which the Speaker
adjourned the House for the second time for half an hour.
After the second adjournment, Minister of State for
Energy Saurabh Patel announced a one-time relief scheme for
defaulters of electricity bills even as Congress leader Arjun
Modhvadia raised objections to the scheme and all the party
members resorted to sloganeering against the state government
and Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir