Gujarat: Cong MP flashes gun to avoid paying toll, booked under Arms Act
Vadorara: In a blatant misuse of power, Congress MP from Porbandar, Vithal Radadiya was caught on camera brandishing a gun and threatening employees at a toll plaza near here.
Radadia, apparently enraged at the temerity of the toll plaza attendant, who asked for the original I-card after his driver had shown a photocopy, was seen on national TV menacingly flashing his gun while stalking the area in front of the booth and repeatedly tapping the glass enclosure with the barrel.
An FIR has been filed against the MP and he has been booked under Arms Act.
The incident that happened near Karjan on National Highway 8 on the intervening night of October 10-11, was caught on CCTV cameras installed outside the toll plaza.
The man in question was on his way to Surat in his car when he was stopped at the toll booth.
Radadia, considered a `strongman` in the Saurashtra region, had recently helped the party organise a massive farmers rally in Rajkot.
The CCTV footage has been provided to Vadodara rural police which has filed an FIR based on the complaint by the manager of the private company collecting toll tax.
"We have received CCTV footage and have identified car number as GJ 3 445," Deputy Superintendent of Police Usha Rada said.
In his complaint, the manager had said the driver and occupants of the car had threatened to kill him and other employees. He said one of the occupants took out a gun and created terror, saying they would not pay road toll tax as the car belonged to an MP.
Radadia defended his action, saying he was surrounded by about 15 people carrying sticks after he told the plaza manager that as an MP he was exempt from paying the toll.
However, Radadiya accepted that the gun belonged to him and that he had a licence for it.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister