Gujarat Cong promises `better cities` for urban life
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress on Thursday promised a series of policy initiatives concerning urban development, town planning and `better cities` for urban life in the state, which is witnessing massive urbanisation.
Senior leaders including State Congress President Arjun Modhwadia, Leader of Opposition Shaktisinh Gohil and State election campaign committee chairman Shankarsinh Vaghela, while addressing the media here made this announcement from the party`s 12 point `Gujarat People Development Vision 2012`.
Congress promised that if voted to power, they, within five years of forming the government, will implement the policy of `zero-slum` in all towns-cities of the state will be implemented, providing constructed houses to slum-dwellers.
It also promised that the Congress government will amend existing rules and laws to follow the Maharashtra pattern for transfer and sale-purchase of Floor Space Index (FSI) and the policy of floating FSI will be implemented immediately.
"At present 60 per cent of urban population in the state faces problems of pollution and are not getting enough quality drinking water. We will bring 24-hours quality and metered water supply to every city," said Modhwadia.
Congress leaders further promised reduction in deduction of land in Town Planning schemes from 40 per cent to 30 per cent, norms for the impact fees to regularisation of illegal constructions will be reduced to half of the present rate and accountability of the concerned officer to be fixed to prevent unauthorised developments in the future.
"We will regularise large number of colonies on the outskirts of cities, as because of regularisation those areas are lacking the basic amenities," said Gohil while promising the balanced development of the cities if voted to power.
In another ambitious assurance, Congress also announced the setting up of Mega Townships in the periphery of larger towns on the principles of Autonomous Green City. For solving traffic problems an Autonomous Traffic Authority will be formed.
They also said that for better utilisation of existing roads party will make special and reserved lanes for two wheelers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark