Gujarat Cong promises `better cities` for urban life
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress on Thursday promised a series of policy initiatives concerning urban development, town planning and `better cities` for urban life in the state, which is witnessing massive urbanisation.
Senior leaders including State Congress President Arjun Modhwadia, Leader of Opposition Shaktisinh Gohil and State election campaign committee chairman Shankarsinh Vaghela, while addressing the media here made this announcement from the party`s 12 point `Gujarat People Development Vision 2012`.
Congress promised that if voted to power, they, within five years of forming the government, will implement the policy of `zero-slum` in all towns-cities of the state will be implemented, providing constructed houses to slum-dwellers.
It also promised that the Congress government will amend existing rules and laws to follow the Maharashtra pattern for transfer and sale-purchase of Floor Space Index (FSI) and the policy of floating FSI will be implemented immediately.
"At present 60 per cent of urban population in the state faces problems of pollution and are not getting enough quality drinking water. We will bring 24-hours quality and metered water supply to every city," said Modhwadia.
Congress leaders further promised reduction in deduction of land in Town Planning schemes from 40 per cent to 30 per cent, norms for the impact fees to regularisation of illegal constructions will be reduced to half of the present rate and accountability of the concerned officer to be fixed to prevent unauthorised developments in the future.
"We will regularise large number of colonies on the outskirts of cities, as because of regularisation those areas are lacking the basic amenities," said Gohil while promising the balanced development of the cities if voted to power.
In another ambitious assurance, Congress also announced the setting up of Mega Townships in the periphery of larger towns on the principles of Autonomous Green City. For solving traffic problems an Autonomous Traffic Authority will be formed.
They also said that for better utilisation of existing roads party will make special and reserved lanes for two wheelers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery